Quick Login:

This time what Sonu Nigam said does make SENSE! Fresh statements below

Comments  Comments [ 24 ]    By Priyanka Chauhan | 20 April 2017 | 12:35pm

Renowned singer Sonu Nigam on Wednesday shaved off his head, hours after offering to apologize if his tweets on azaan blared from loudspeakers were seen to be anti-Muslim.

After the tweets sparked a row, a cleric in West Bengal, Syed Shah Atif Ali Al-Qaderi, announced he would give Rs 10 lakh to anyone who shaves off Sonu Nigam's head and garlands with footwear.

Sonu Nigam took up the challenge, calling a Muslim barber to do the job.

"I have requested Aalim (Hakim) to come. He will shave my head, but it isn't any agitation or challenge. The one who is cutting hair is a Muslim and I am a Hindu. There is no animosity," Nigam said here.

"The same language of fatwa can be communicated through a language of love," he added.

Nigam underlined that he never meant any "offence".

"Being secular means understanding each other's problems and not saying 'I am only right'. 'Aazan zaruri hai, loudspeaker nahi' (Aazan is necessary, not the loudspeakers).

"That's my only point. It is about the timing. Loudspeaker shouldn't be used at a wrong time. Even when we perform, there is a proper time," added the singer.

Nigam invited the media, saying he will go bald at 2 p.m. "Keep your Rs 10 lakh ready Moulvi," he tweeted.

Nigam kept his word and then addressed a media conference at his residence as police beefed up security for him.

The cleric, however, refused to pay up, saying only one part of his challenge had been taken up.

The singer appeared before journalists with a clean-shaven pate, wearing spectacles and smiling away even as Muslim groups protested and threatened to move the court against him.

"All I wanted was a consideration for one another... Everyone has the right to have an opinion. My opinion is in temple, masjid and gurudwara, loudspeakers are not religious necessities. It is not part of a religion.

"When loudspeakers are installed in religious places, it is sort of a declaration that 'this is my religion'. The same goes for people dancing on roads drunk during religious processions. I am against that.

"I am very secular. I am not right or left wing. I stand in between. I've never had to make a speech like this. I just raised a social topic, not a religious topic," Nigam added.

It all started on Monday when Nigam lashed out at "forced religiousness" in India after being woken up by azaan from a mosque near his home. He later clarified that he was not against any one religion.

Copyright  India-forums.com/Bollywood

User Rating  Rating(0 Votes)

Views  18684

Bookmark and Share

Go to top

User Comments

Join Bollycurry

If You are a member of India-forums, Then You can also log in here.

Quick Login

RELATED CELEBRITIES
Sonu Niigam Sonu Niigam
  (146)
  (27)
  (245)

• Heema22
    Date: 4/23/2017 7:12:31 PMHeema22

I totally agree with Sonu Nigam . No need for loud speakers . They are very annoying .everyone need to respect others privacy .payer places should be very peaceful . When I was visiting India I was very annoyed by Loud speakers .

• Hanalita
    Date: 4/23/2017 3:22:39 PMHanalita

if only he talked about loud speakers i would have understood... Azaan is not forced to anyone,,,, you can loudspeakers thats not important... its what he said and how he said and he specifically commented about the religion... i wish it was only about loudspeakers,,,,,,, this guy is loser and i feel he is only duin it so that he seeks attention

• KUMARIASHI
    Date: 4/23/2017 9:41:53 AMKUMARIASHI

In india loudspeaker is ban in religious places... So when they use loudspeaker in religious places it is illegal... Don't matter if it is mandir or masjid or gurdwara...

• komol
    Date: 4/23/2017 9:14:36 AMkomol

The Azan is meant to be loud in order to call muslims to prayers.To alert them that it is the waqt(time) to pray .This is a findamental part of the islamic faith.When he's being critical of this he is fundametaly being disrespectful even toward moderates.Please look up on a religion before passing comments and showcase respect towards minority groups.This is not respectful at all.Also the Azhan only lasts for 3-5 minutes you're telling me it can be more alarming to this sensitive man than the sound of traffic?This is just sheer disrespect and as a muslim I am thoroughly offended by his statements.I am sure this is a publicity stunt because of his dwindling fame now with newer singers that have entered.Mr.Nigam is a dying star if not already burnt out.Its time to accept the fact and move on instead of instigating such mindless contraversies.Its a democratic country.When he has a concert no one complains about hours of noise well into the night so he shouldn't have the right to complain of the Azan either.
    #RespectMinorities #Democracy2017-04-23 09:18:26

• KUMARIASHI
    Date: 4/22/2017 10:57:35 AMKUMARIASHI

Even I get disturbed when they play loud music in the puja pandels or in the name of jagran or Satsang... But I am a Hindu... Does it make me an anti Hindu... These loud speakers disturbed our sleep, our study etc... It is not a crime to voice out against these things... All the problems start because he said azan and Muslims... I think we should stop giving so much importance to our religion that it stops our thinking process... Be it Hindu or Muslim or any other religions... We are human being first... Our identity should be through our achievements,our good works not by some religion... More than fighting with each other for religion we should focus on ourselves to be a better human... Change starts from ourselves... If we become good than the society will also become good...
    And for that we have to think rationally... If we behave like this in every situation how we can call us as responsible citizens...
    Sony nigam had some problem with the loudspeaker so he said it... He has the right to say that... We should not have made it such a huge issue...2017-04-22 11:01:23

• SiyapaaQueen
    Date: 4/20/2017 5:36:28 PMSiyapaaQueen

Sonu nigaam is shit. Publicity stunt and clear dislike for islam. Its a noise for him? It wakes him up? Bechara ki sleep bigaad thi? Poor little boy. USE HEAD PHONES OR EAR PLUGS AND GET OVER IT. the sound is used to call all muslims to prayer. And thats the only way to get that message out by using loudspeakers. I frankly find it BEAUTIFUL and serene whenever im in india to hear that gives peace to the soul.
    Im sure when HIndus are celebrating aspects of their rligion be it holi, or janmashtmi or ganesh chaturti their is EQUAL loudness and noise in the name or PRAYER right? used to celebrate? You dont see mulsims shaving their heads in retaliation.
    2017-04-20 17:39:46

• SilentDreamer
    Date: 4/20/2017 1:40:09 PMSilentDreamer

I said it before and I'll say it again. As celebrities, and people always in the eyes of the public, they have to be careful on how they voice their opinions. I am not against his opinions even if I may or may not agree with him. But him clearing the air, and reiterating how he isn't antimuslim but only believes that "loudspeakers" are unnecessary, well I can respect that. Muslims and Hindus, and every faction of religious people need to learn to respect one another and learn to coexist peacefully. It's about time.

• zarmeeno
    Date: 4/20/2017 1:01:02 PMzarmeeno

The reason for azaan is to call the muslims that it is time of prayer. The loudspeaker is necessary for that purpose as the communities have spread and it is not easy to cover a large area with just the voice azaan

• bahi.
    Date: 4/20/2017 12:31:09 PMbahi.

respect to Sonu Nigam. he made his statement very clear, but people seems to twist it all the time.

• OmaRamdass
    Date: 4/20/2017 12:05:17 PMOmaRamdass

He's right and the religious fanatics cannot take it. They are so brainwashed that they cannot think logically.

Related Videos